Tuesday, August 16, 2005

at the movies...

Saw the movie “Black” with my puttars a few weeks ago. Had been waiting to see this one on the large screen for long- had lost hope that it would ever be screened in the city here we live…but it did happen- DH had promised that we’d go for this one . Long, long ago, very long ago, there used to be a time when we went to the movies every week- sigh…those were the good old days- but that’s lore of yore now- the prospect of setting out atleast a couple of hours earlier, then waiting in the queue, and finally sitting holed up in the theatre for more than 2 hours with the dolby stereo screaming right into the ears, coming home with a headache was very daunting , I manage to let the tear ducts overflow for almost any movie- DH just cannot sit in one place staring into the huge screen for so long- and so we stopped going to the movies!

There used to be time when I’d try to make DH ( dear hubby) feel guilty for not taking me to the movies- I’d point out how Mr. D took Mrs. D to the movies- and he’d reply without batting an eyelid- “shall ask Mr. D to take u along too next time!” Hahaha- Fat joke- tickle tickle laugh laugh…needless to say- I stopped taunting him.

But Black was to be an exception- however when it did come to the theatres, DH could not make it because he was too busy- we were putting up stalls at a Health Exhibition in our city- the experience and exposure was crucial for our company at this juncture- and so I magnanimously let him off the hook- of course, I did make sure that he realized the significance of the sacrifice I was making ( I’m sure I heard a hurriedly smothered sigh of relief) - and so went to see Black with my puttars.

It was being screened in the smaller theatre in the multiplex- there was this never ending queue for the other movie “anniyan” and the “Black” ticket counter was deserted. Now there was three of us- the people from the other queue eyed us as if we were extra terrestrials…Puttars squirmed- the elder one told me we better watch the other movie becos they wouldn’t screen for just three. I refused to budge. Thankfully, soon a few more lonely souls trickled in hesitantly- and eventually, I think there were abt 20- 30 turned up!
Now, there’s not going to be a review of the movie- it would suffice to say that I’d applaud even if Amitabh Bacchhan sneezed- I believe staunchly that it has been my unstinted devotion and adulation that has contributed to AB’s success and glory- ok atleast 75% …

I loved everything abt the movie- have always enjoyed Bhansali’s larger than life visual vistas unfolding on screen- ( yup, loved “Devdas”- there I said it).I loved the shots, the angles, the acting, the blacks, the whites- the colours- or the lack of it, the tears, the water, the snow- everything …I sat at the edge of my seat watching, listening- my elder puttar tried to remind me to sit back a couple of times and then let me be-
And yet, somehow, the moments in the movie did not linger with me afterwards- usually, I keep running over the dialogues, the scenes- the acting long afterwards-

They were changing the posters already as we filed out after the movie- Black ran only for 2 days I think…
After the movie- went to dinner with DH- and came home…

No comments: